On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:37:32 -0400,
David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> My opinion is already on the record, so I'll just restate it quickly:
> I prefer Public Domain to LGPL (and LGPL to GPL), both because it
> makes it easier for companies to use the code without waiting for
> approval from the legal department, and because I don't believe in
> making threats I'm not willing to keep (I'm not going to bankrupt
> myself suing Microsoft if they steal my code, so why pretend that I
> would)?

.."pretending", you allow, say, the FSF, to "act on our behalf", or
to fund that furball.  With PD, AFAIK, you have given up all rights,
and your (or the public domains) case never makes it into the court.

..there _are_ many good reasons not to give up copyright for free
stuff too, the best ones is to protect that very freedom and price.

> If people cannot stomach Public Domain, then something freer than

.."public domain" equals "the author drops or donates his copyright
to the public domain"?
My understanding of the *gpl is "keep the copyright as a legal
instrument to enforce the donation in court against those who
try to deny the public its donated good", which _makes_ it
legally enforceable.  I don't see "pd" as being enforceable.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: