> FWIW, the turn coordinator ball behaves *very* differently between
> JSBSim and YASim and another FDM I am playing with.  All supposedly
> return accelerations in body axis in ft/sec squared.  This means we
> can't create a single turn coordinator instrument who's ball behaves
> reasonably well for every FDM.

Body axes must be the coordinate frame used here, IMHO: +X forward, +Y out
the right side, +Z down. The issue of whether to include the local
acceleration due to gravity I'll leave for Tony to address - this is
probably an issue, if my hunch is correct.

> Would it be better to force the FDM's to calculate a ball deflection
> in degrees/radians,

No. That's not the job of the FDM, IMHO.

> or do we need to investigate why the body axis
> accelerations are so radically different for 3 different FDM's

Yes.

> (who
> all are trying to model a C172.)  If the FDM's do the work, then they
> all have to do the failure modeling too.

No!

> It would be nicer to figure out what's going on ...

Yes.

> it seems to be more than a simple coordinate
> system difference, unless JSBSim/YASim swap X/Y axes or something
> strange like that.

I believe we do. JSBSim uses the industry standard body axis system as
described above.

Jon