Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> The JSBSim drives the ball in a reasonable way, as does this other FDM
> I'm playing with.  However, the scaling is about an order of magnitude
> different between the two, even though they supposedly report the
> accels in the same units and are modeling the same aircraft.  YASim
> seems to drive the ball yet another order of magnitude further.

Hrm... yup, that sounds awfully wrong.  Especially since units
shouldn't matter.  What the steam.cxx code is doing is taking the
sideways acceleration and dividing it by the vertical acceleration to
get a "down" direction.  The units should drop out.  I could be
reporting accelerations in mph per year and it should still work.

Could you stick some printfs in and get a feel for the numbers that
are coming out?  I mean, just print Ay and Az for each sim under
broadly similar conditions and see if anything is obviously wrong.
Unless you're doing aerobatics, Z should be very close to 32 and
Y should be near zero.

If this is happening in the air, it might not be the acceleration code
at all, but the side-force-per-slip-angle behavior that is different.  Try
testing while doing constant rate turns on the ground to see if they
behave the same there.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA