"Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Cruising in the 747-yasim at 18,000' (altitude holding me steady) and
> with throttle adjusted so I'm stable at 490 kts, I'm seeing a -3
> degree pitch down (/orientation/pitch-deg)

Wasn't sure but it sounds like you are using the autopilot's alitutde hold.
Just to add to what Andy was saying, the altitude hold as currently
implemented doesn't work realistically.  If I'm not mistaken the 747 autopilot
and autothrottle system should be holding the pitch at the preset angle for
cruise with trim and the throttle should be controlling rate of climb/descent.
 You could try that method manually to see if it will trim.

Best,

Jim