Curtis L. Olson writes:

 > Cruising in the 747-yasim at 18,000' (altitude holding me steady) and
 > with throttle adjusted so I'm stable at 490 kts, I'm seeing a -3
 > degree pitch down (/orientation/pitch-deg)

>From what I can find, the 747 is supposed to be able to cruise at
around 490 KTAS between FL280 and FL350.  At FL280, 490 KTAS true
would be about 314 KIAS; at FL350, it would be a bit lower, but you're
getting near the tropopause and things get screwy.  At FL180, 314 KIAS
would give you only 427 KTAS.

If you're trying to fly at 490kt *indicated* at FL180, then you're
pushing something like 666kt true -- it would be no surprise that
you'd have to push the nose down and abuse the engines to maintain
that.

All the best,

David

--