Andy Ross writes:

 > But it's only a default startup setting -- the keypad bindings change
 > the current values.  There's no "return to default" binding
 > anywhere.

 > This can be fixed in XML; but it requires defining a place to put
 > "default" settings for the view, getting all the aircraft to adhere to
 > them and rebinding a key or button to copy these values.  That kind of
 > consensus is hard to come by, so no one's done it. :)

It's been in for a few weeks.  The keybindings go to default positions
that you can define:

  /sim/view/config/default-field-of-view-deg
  /sim/view/config/default-pitch-deg
  /sim/view/config/front-direction-deg
  /sim/view/config/front-left-direction-deg
  /sim/view/config/left-direction-deg
  /sim/view/config/back-left-direction-deg
  /sim/view/config/back-direction-deg
  /sim/view/config/back-right-direction-deg
  /sim/view/config/right-direction-deg
  /sim/view/config/front-right-direction-deg

The default values for these are as you would expect, but they can be
overridden in the aircraft config files.  For example,
c172p-3d-jsbsim-set.xml changes /sim/view/config/default-pitch-deg
from 0 to -12 to look down a little (you almost always want to look
down a bit in the 3D models).

 > FWIW, I have a joystick hat mapped to pan the view and use that
 > exclusively.

I'm thinking of switching my yoke's hat to a panner as well.  The
mouse also works nicely, though.

All the best,

David

--