This brings back the discussion a couple weeks ago on the 747 origin.  The
following is what I got from that thread:

1). The reported "origin" is arbitrary in relation to the FDM's internal
workings...ie how pitch/roll/yaw is calculated.  The exact position of the 3D
model origin can be calculated to be anywhere on the aircraft.

2). On a fixed wing aircraft, if origin is anywhere but between the wings the
external model views that follow along with the aircraft (e.g. chase view)
will not look correct.   The camera is tied to the origin.  If the origin is
at the nose or tail then the plane "looks" like it's wagging when it pitches.
 And if the origin is too high or too low again the model can "appear" to be
swinging like a pendulum or sliding when it should simply be rolling.

In "reality" the model rotates correctly no matter where the origin is
defined.  This is only a visual effect of translating the camera position from
the origin and there's pretty much no way to avoid it other than placing the
origin as suggested above.  It seems that after the now numerous past
discussions, that we should be considering the visual effect first when it
comes to 3D representations.   This is only about the 3D model.

Also, this location will differ substantially with different aircraft
(consider the C172 with its wing forward and high, the swept centrally located
ERJ-135 wings, or the Concorde's delta wing.  It would be hard to make a
general statement other than "usually center of the fuselage, and somewhere on
the wings" or "just so the model's behavior looks reasonable".

I hate to bother the engineers with this appearances stuff.  Having grown up
in a family of engineers I know how hard it can be to pick out a matching tie
in the morning (which explains why most don't wear ties these days :-)).

Best,

Jim

--
Jim Wilson - IT Manager