On 1/14/03 at 4:10 PM Curtis L. Olson wrote:

Lots!!!!

>David Luff writes:
>> As for 1.0, although its just a number, I personally think its a
>> pretty significant number, and probably worth a bit of work
>> polishing bugs , user interface, and installation problems out as
>> much as possible before release.
>
>David,
>
>Definitely we want to get out releases that have no major bugs and
>have all installataion issues resolved.  However, there are a couple
>things that work against us.
>
>1) Time.  Putting out a good release takes an immense amount of time.

< big snip >

OK, I appeciate all that you're saying, and I realise that you're the guy
who cops the time penalty when we do releases.  In general I think that
your new 'bang them out' release strategy has been a good thing from a
software point of view as well as from a time spent point of view since
we're now getting useful bug reports from users much closer to the current
CVS.  My point is simply that IMHO, 1.0 is a 'special' number, whereas
others may feel that its 'just another' number.  If we get a heads up prior
to when you think its ready for release then I for one will certainly be
ready to stop work on long term features and look at short term stuff.

>   seriously.  But then inevitably, I personally (since I'm the
>   primary flightgear contact) get flooded with questions, complaints,
>   people howling that they shouldn't be expected to compile an
>   application from scratch, or have to learn unix, or have to read
>   instructions, or type from a command line, etc. etc.  People want a
>   Windows/Mac/Linux installer.  Download one big file, double click
>   on the icon and it's installed and all perfectly native to
>   whichever platform they are on.  I haven't the time to do this
>   myself, and apparently (since we don't have these sorts of things)
>   no one else does either.  But there seems to be an underlying
>   expectation that someone should be doing this stuff.  I'm not sure
>   who that would be though.

Yeah, that's (Windows Installer) on my personal "do it before 1.0 if no-one
else does" list, which is another reason a couple of months heads up would
be useful.  I've been putting it off though since its such a good project
for newcomers to Flightgear who may be non-coders or not familiar with the
code to contribute.

>4) There is too much of an attitude or expectation overall that some
>   magical core of developer(s) (i.e. someone else) will do
>   everything, and make everything work, so that any end user can then
>   point and click and everything works perfectly the first time.
>   But, none, or very few end users are willing to try the development
>   and prereleases and report bugs in advance.  A few "other people"
>   are expected to keep all the documenation perfectly in sync with
>   development.  "Others" are supposed to make sure everything works
>   perfectly with your platform, etc. etc.  I think our limited
>   attempts to do this draw people into thinking that "others" have
>   infinite time and should just make it all work magically.
>> There seem to be some problems with the JSBSim gear model which I'd
>> have down as a show-stopper for 1.0,

Yeah, sure, I appreciate everyone's effort in making Flightgear exist, and
realise that some folk have and are putting a *lot* of personal time into
it far over and above what I am.  Thanks guys.  What I was trying to say
was simply that 1.0 is to me more than a number - its a very symbolic
number.  Come to think of it, no software I've ever written for myself has
ever made it to 1.0...

>I haven't heard this discussed.  You should probably take this up with
>Jon/Tony on the JSBSim list.

There's a lot of wobble and drift when stationary, particularly with the
brakes on.  This might be a floating point issue rather than a JSBSim issue
though.  Its much less noticable at the default startup location than some
others which may be why it doesn't get mentioned.  I'm pretty sure I've
been blown in a circle when stationary in a light crosswind as well,
although I'll have to check that one - maybe I got the heading and speed
mixed up...

>> and I'd have thought that displaced thesholds and the arrows
>> pointing to them would have to be pretty high on the list of
>> features that would be expected to make it in.
>
>Do we actually have these in our airport data?  If so (or if the data
>could be added) I'd be willing to work on it.  The airport code is
>still relatively fresh in my mind.

I'll have a look for a data source...

>> My personal hope as a non-US citizen is that world-wide DEM-3 data
>> from STRM becomes available prior to 1.0, but I'm not holding my
>> breath on that one any more.
>
>I grabbed the 30 meter (1 arcsec) USA data, but I haven't had time to
>start looking at building scenery from it.  That's another can of
>worms ... there is a ton of things in terragear that I'd like to go
>through and rework and improve ... someday ...

Worldwide DEM-3 should build more-or-less out of the box on Terragear
though, shouldn't it, given that the US is already DEM-3?

Cheers - Dave