Martin Spott writes:
> Gene Buckle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > flightgear.distributed.net. :)
>
> If someone provides a portable distribution mechanism for distributed
> scenery generation, then I think I can provide some horsepower for this,

The big problem is that scenery building is much more slanted towards
data shuffling (i.e. reading and writing files is typically the
largest component of the task.)  There is a computational component
but it is generally small in comparison.  When you think about
distributing the tasks, the bottle necks are almost all in the file

Locally I have about 220Gb of HD space dedicated towards storing the
original raw data.  The intermediate preprocessed form of the data.
The shared edge data.  And the final scenery.

If we get SRTM data for the whole world, that will have to jump up
substantially.

For scenery building I'd love to have at least an 8-16 node cluster
with really high bandwidth/ low latency net between them, a terrabyte
of scsi disk space, and probably a big air conditioner to keep the
room cool. :-) (Seriously, when you start thinking about building
large clusters of PC's, you quickly get to the point where the largest
cost of the entire system is the cost of keeping it cool.)

But, in the absence of winning the lottery, I have to live with
whatever hardware I can scrape together. :-)