> Locally I have about 220Gb of HD space dedicated towards storing the
> original raw data.  The intermediate preprocessed form of the data.
> The shared edge data.  And the final scenery.

Oh. I didn't expect it to be that much...

> If we get SRTM data for the whole world, that will have to jump up
> substantially.

Can't things be done in sections? Why would one want to do the whole
world in a single operation?

> For scenery building I'd love to have at least an 8-16 node cluster
> with really high bandwidth/ low latency net between them, a terrabyte

If processing involves a lot of data copying, you'd probably be better
off keeping everything on a single computer. Use a multiprocessor
machine with lots of storage and lots or RAM.

Just an idea: how about using the HP TestDrive farm? They have some
nice computers there such as a quad 1GHz Alpha. It would be necessary
to ask for their permission first, but this being an open-source
project, I wouldn't think this would be a problem. We can then give
credit on the website or so.

  Andras