On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:34:24 -0600,
"Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Major A writes:
> > > Locally I have about 220Gb of HD space dedicated towards storing
> > > the original raw data.  The intermediate preprocessed form of the
> > > data. The shared edge data.  And the final scenery.
> >
> > Oh. I didn't expect it to be that much...
>
> I'm not maxed out yet, and occaisonally I keep different copies or
> different variants of things for various reasons.  I don't feel
> cramped right now, but I'm not exactly swimming in an overwhelming
> abundance of extra disk space.
>
> > > If we get SRTM data for the whole world, that will have to jump up
> > > substantially.
> >
> > Can't things be done in sections? Why would one want to do the whole
> > world in a single operation?
>
> Sure, but there's some sort of coolness factor related to building the
> entire world. :-)
>
> > If processing involves a lot of data copying, you'd probably be
> > better off keeping everything on a single computer. Use a
> > multiprocessor machine with lots of storage and lots or RAM.
>
> If someone is donating hardware, I could live with either
> approach. :-)
>
> > Just an idea: how about using the HP TestDrive farm? They have some
> > nice computers there such as a quad 1GHz Alpha. It would be
> > necessary to ask for their permission first, but this being an
> > open-source project, I wouldn't think this would be a problem. We
> > can then give credit on the website or so.
>
> What kind of disk space can they give us?
>
> Curt.

..they _can_ do a _lot_:
http://www.serverworldmagazine.com/newsflash2/2003/03/20_redhat.shtml
and http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=HP+%22Red+Hat%22

..now, what they _will_ do, depends on their end of the deal etc,
coolness is one factor in PR work, how about FG scenery building as a
test suite, or sim'ing the shuttle break-up, we do ice on Twin Otters.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: