On Friday 22 August 2003 11:01 pm, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> Randy Locklair writes:
> > My name's Randy Locklair, I'm a student pilot and a long time developer
> > and I joined the list to find out a couple of things.
>
> Hi Randy,
>
> > First of all I'd like to know what the status is of the MacOS port.
> > I mainly use os X lately and I'd like to get involved.  If no one is
> > running the show I'd be happy to take over.
>
> The last Mac OS X build that I'm aware of was for version 0.8.0.
> Right now we are at version 0.9.2 for the most recent official
> release, but I haven't seen a Mac build yet. :-(
>
> We have had a couple people working with Mac OS X, but my sense is
> that there hasn't been a lot of recent activity.  It would be great to
> get more Mac developers involved and get more activity going on the
> Mac side.
>
> I know that one thing that would be nice would be to make FlightGear a
> little more Mac friendly, and perhaps bundle up the result in a more
> mac friendly way.
>
> OSX is unix underneath, but I get the sense that most Mac people view
> the keyboard as a useless appendage (kind of like unix people view the
> mouse) :-) I once tried to go through installing the 0.8.0 Mac OS X
> build with a knowledgable Mac guy here locally.  I'd say stuff like
> "make a directory, cd to such and such, now run tar to extract some
> file", etc. etc.  He would click and drag and click and drag and copy
> and paste, and drop icons into text windows and other sort of strange
> behavior after some effort (and apparent magic) the task would get
> accomplished.
>
> So I think what I learned from this experience is that even though Mac
> OSX is unix underneath, it still might be worth some effort to make
> the Mac build a little more mac friendly.  Even with OS X, being a mac
> expert doesn't necessarily mean being a unix expert.
>
> > Also, I read somewhere about you guys being at the .org pavillion at
> > LinuxWorld.  I don't know who organizes that or if anyone is
> > planning to for January 2004 in New York, but I'd be happy to
> > organize/help with that too.
>
> We missed the most recent SFO linux world, but if we can get someone
> to head up a booth in NY, that would be great.  I think there are a
> couple other developers in the area as well.  We did a booth out there
> one year.  My wife will be very pregnant about that time so I don't
> think I'll be able to help much myself, beyond offering tips and
> suggestions.

Actually '01 and '02. I didn't see any indication registration opened up for
'04 yet. It's a pretty good bet JIm Wilson will come down. If somebody else
wants to be boothmeister, just give me a heads up so we don't get the fine
folks at IDG confused. The paperwork end isn't a real big burden, you just
have to stay on top of dealines.

> I will say that it is a blast to do a booth ... you get to talk about
> FlightGear all day long.  What could be better?!? :-)

Sign up to give a conference session, they feed you.

> The flipside is that it is also a lot of work, and hauling equipment
> in and out is not necessarily an easy task.

Javits Center is a lot better than Moscone in that regard. The main issue is
anything with wheels is supposed to be handled by a union member.