On Wednesday 03 December 2003 13:17, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> Jon Berndt writes:
> > > Reminds me of the time I was 4 years old and flying in a Catalina
and

> > Are you serious?  I'm jealous.  One of my favorites.
>
> Yup, wish I had been older so I could have remembered more about it.
>
> > > went looking for the bathroom, because of course, all airplanes have
> > > bathrooms (something I was very convinced of when I was 4.)
> >
> > Did it?
>
> Nope, it turns out that bathrooms are typically only on things like
> 737's and DC-9's and stuff.
>
> I saw a Catalina fly at an air show a couple years ago.  The thing
> that I really noticed was how big the wing was relative to the rest of
> the aircraft, and how slow it could fly on approach.
>
> Curt.
> --
> Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
> Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
> Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://
www.flightgear.org

They had a restored/flying Cat based at an airfield near me for a while
and I'd see it out and about every now and then.  They have got a long
wing - I guess the high aspect ratio helps the endurance.

A couple of things about modelling sea-planes in FG though - a) unless you
start in the air, you have to start on a runway, and b) with YASim, at
least, you can't define the fuselage properly because part of it has to
start below the surface and you get a collision at start-up.  Dunno how
JSBSim and UIUC handle this.

I'd imagine the taxiing/u/c characteristics are a lot different too,
especially as the hull comes up into the planing position.

I'm not a sea-plane scientist, so these are really idle speculations, but
we might want to start thinking about them.

LeeE