Martin Spott writes:
> Not many, but on the other hand you won't have much trouble with the
> BIOS when you think about a standalone FlightGear CD. Dealing with a
> bunch of different kernel modules for autodetecting different vendors'
> cards might prove to end in a huge mess. This _is_ very pragmatic
> thinking,

I don't think this big mess is the fault of vendors with binary
drivers.  OpenGL support on Linux has historically been a big mess and
it's still a pain to get going on a lot of systems and especially for
new users.  Much of this is because Linux/XFree86 just didn't have
infrastructure to support it in the early days when 3d cards started
to become available for pc's.  If there had been a driver standard
when all this started, I'm sure companies like nvidia would have
adopted it.  But there wasn't (DRI was under development, but it just
wasn't there quickly enough.)  Nvidia chose to go their own route so
they could get drivers out the door.

But this discussion is getting very "political" and we do a *lot*
better if we concentrate on FlightGear rather than politics!

Thanks,

Curtis Olson   HumanFIRST Program               FlightGear Project
Twin Cities    curt 'at' me.umn.edu             curt 'at' flightgear.org
Minnesota      http://www.flightgear.org/~curt  http://www.flightgear.org