"Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Martin Spott writes:
>> Not many, but on the other hand you won't have much trouble with the
>> BIOS when you think about a standalone FlightGear CD. Dealing with a
>> bunch of different kernel modules for autodetecting different vendors'
>> cards might prove to end in a huge mess. This _is_ very pragmatic
>> thinking,

> I don't think this big mess is the fault of vendors with binary
> drivers.

Especially the mess with NVidia's drivers is the manufacturer's fault.
ATI at least _tries_ to conform with the standards proposed by the DRI.
With ATI you can copy the DRI driver module and the kernel module
(after tweaking the build script) to the appropriate places.
With NVidia (at least the last time I looked at their drivers) you have
to:

a) Unload the kernel's GART module during the autodetection and load
   NVidia's special kernel module,
b) replace the OpenGL libraries,
c) run a special X Server.

_This_ is what I'd call a huge mess. I don't like ATI's approach either
but these guys show that things could have been done at least in a
significant better way.
Yes, there was no 3D standard for Linux when 3D boards for PeeCees
became affordable. But NVidia's driver effort was very late as well.
They _would_ have had the chance to stick to DRI standards but they
simply don't have any interest into doing anything different from
"their own way".

Cheers,
        Martin.