Jim Wilson wrote

> Andy Ross said:
>
> > Vivian Meazza wrote:
> > > Performance: max = 437mph at combat emergency power at 25000ft,
> > > 413mph at 15000ft, 395mph at 5000ft, cruising speed 362mph, climb
> > > rate 3475 ft/min.  Service ceiling 41,900ft.
> >
> > How much is combat emergency power?  The trick is getting the actual
>
> Well...hmmm...  The Air Force page shows the horsepower
> rating at 1695,
> see: http://www.af.mil/history/aircraft.asp?dec=1940&pid=123006547
>
> Most everywhere else it says 1590.
>
> One of those scans from the manual shows WEP at 3300 rpm.  So
> perhaps 1695 @3300 is with WEP and 1590 @3000 is w/o WEP?
> WEP basically jumps the MP up to 67 Hg.  Normal max throttle
> w/supercharger is 61 Hg up to 30,000 ft (sea level horsepower
> is available up to 30,000ft).

We are suffering from information overload. No two source documents seem to
quite agree, even the most seemingly authoritative. This is from a
contemporary report on the Merlin 66 (=Packard V-1650-7):

"The principal results at combat conditions (i.e. 3000 rpm and +18 lb/sq.in.
boost) ..."

I have not seen any reference to the Merlin safely exceeding 3000 rpm in
level flight.

I think 1695 HP could be the output in MS (Medium Speed) supercharger gear -
rated altitude 5,750 ft. This would be consistent with this reference:

http://www.wwiitechpubs.info/hangar/ac-uk/ac-uk-eng-rolls-royce-merlin/ac-uk
-eng-rolls-royce-merlin-br.html

If we stick to the broadly accepted figure of rated output 1590 hp at 3000
rpm at the rated altitude of 16,000 ft and get YASim working with that, we
would be getting somewhere.

Regards

Vivian