Roy Vegard Ovesen said:

<snip>

> The "switch-hotspots.xml" file is a small (10x10) panel with one big
> instrument with one big hotspot. This worked as expected. I was also able to
> reuse the switch instrument at different locations in the cockpit, as
> expected. Is there perhaps a limit to how many 2d panels with hotspots one
> can include?
>
> This method adds instrument-specific hotspots to true 3d instruments. It's a
> bit ugly but it works and is more reusable than the Hunter and Mustang way of
> doing it.

Hmmm...maybe reusability isn't the most important issue here.  While I know
that there are many stock devices that are the same in different aircraft,  it
almost seems that numerically, with the number aircraft we have modeled now,
the non-common instruments are (or should be) more frequent.

The thing I like about defining clicks per model this way is you can adjust
the model position without having to then adjust the click positions, since
they are relative to the model.

Unfortunately I can't comment on issues like overhead and performance with
your technique (those are possible limiting factors), but it does look like an
excellent model for a permanent solution.

> I would also like to redirect you attention to my post:
>
> http://baron.flightgear.org/pipermail/flightgear-devel/2004-May/028549.html
>
> Thanks!
> Can anyone confirm that the alias feature can not be used for the 3d animation
> code?!

I can probably answer your question,  but I don't know what you mean by "alias
feature".  Is that a 2d panel thing?  Maybe that answers your question? ;-)

Best,

Jim