Josh Babcock wrote:

> Jim Wilson wrote:
> > Josh Babcock said:
> >

> >>and bitmaps.  However, one of the things that can currently only be done
in the
> >>control's model file is orientation.  I think this is a mistake.
Orientation,
> >>like placement, should be defined outside the xml for a given control.
> >>Otherwise, it is impossible to reuse a control unless you plan on doing
it in
> >>the same orientation.  It should be possible for the aircraft's model
file to
> >>define a one-time transformation where you define the location of the
> >
> > instrument.
> >
> > Can you explain, or give an example?  It could be that I am not
understanding
> > your use of the term orientation.
> >

> Ok, so I have this nice generic fuel pump toggle switch that I made for my
> x-100, which has a panel tilted at 15 deg.  I want to also use it in my
x-200,
> which has a panel with a vertical orientation.  If I just plug it in, one
of
> them will have a switch that is off by 15 deg.  Now, I can reuse the .ac
model,
> but I need to rotate it somehow, so I have to create a second .xml file
for the
> x-200 that has a -15 deg rotation animation in it.  Problem with this is
a) I
> have to create a new fuel-toggle.xml file, b) the x-200 is doing a
rotation
> transformation every frame that it doesn't have to and c) I would expect
to find
> rotation orientation in the same place as the offsets.  In other words,
all six
> degrees of freedom of movement for the model as a whole should be defined
in the
> same place.
>
> So being able to define a rotation for instruments in the x-200-model.xml
file
> instead of the fuel-toggle.xml file would be good.  Being smart enough to
> recognize that it only needs to be done once is also good, though not
nearly as
> important.

The 747 and the A320 share ( because I am lazy ) the same instruments but
they have different position and orientation.

for example, a320-fb.xml has :

 <model>
  <path>Aircraft/747/Models/boeing747-400-pfd-jw.xml</path>
  <offsets>
   <x-m>-17.17</x-m>
   <y-m>-0.59</y-m>
   <z-m>-2</z-m>
   <pitch-deg>-15.0</pitch-deg>
  </offsets>
 </model>

while boeing747-400-jw.xml has :

 <model>
  <path>Aircraft/747/Models/boeing747-400-pfd-jw.xml</path>
  <offsets>
   <x-m>-18.90</x-m>
   <y-m>-0.55</y-m>
   <z-m>2.885</z-m>
   <pitch-deg>-20.0</pitch-deg>
  </offsets>
 </model>

but they use the same instrument animation file

-Fred