On Freitag 14 Oktober 2005 15:20, Oliver Schroeder wrote:
> I don't call TCP "evil / bad / slow". I just think that TCP is not usable
> for out purpose. Please note that I'm talking _only_ about the transmission
> of multiplayer data (position, actions, etc).
Well, UDP is just aprioriate for realtime applications.
Professional simulation codes I know combining real hardware together with
simulations together in a single loop, use udp or udp like protocols.
Where with 'udp like', I think of protocols just pushing the data onto the
wire and not waiting for an ack of the other side.

Whatever you may experience with tcp in *your* special case, the only way to
*guarantee* that you will not block or hang the simulation because of lost
ethernet frames which will past a timeout be retransmitted and block the
stream for that whole time, is *not* using tcp.

  Greetings

         Mathias

--
Mathias Fröhlich, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]