Chris Metzler wrote:
I've got bog standard FC4 and freeglut
2.2.0-16 on my work machine for instance, no sign of freeglut 2.4...

He was on FC5; maybe they're distributing freeglut 2.4 at this point.

Quite right, they are. Annoyingly, they don't seem to be distributing "freeglut22" which would be the specific version 2.2 freeglut. Some other RPMs are done this sort of way,  just to allow certain programs to continue using an old version of a library.

Flightgear RPM doesn't insist on any particular version of freeglut
BTW, just whatever is available.

What's the fix? Insist on only a certain version of Freeglut?

Yeah.  Or go the SDL route.
I take it we can't just fix FG to call freeglut's 'init()' routine as requested?
 The problem is that when people try it
and it crashes in this fashion, the majority aren't going to react
with "oh wow, freeglut must be buggy."  They're going to think the
problem is with FG.  It sucks, but that's reality.
Agreed.
 The advantage
of the SDL route, I guess, is that if you demand freeglut < 2.4,
there's a chance of a conflict if they have something else
installed which requires freeglut >= 2.4.

As I indicated earlier, the "right way" to do this sort of thing on RPM-ed machines is usually to have a special package called (say) 'freeglut22' providing such a thing. Then it doesn't conflict with 'freeglut' which may also be installed.

Such a thing doesn't seem to be available on FC5 currently. We could provide one I suppose, or like you say, use SDL instead.

Steve