Martin Spott wrote:

Does this mean that you generally recommend using SDL for FlightGear
instead of GLUT on any platform if possible ? Is there any comparison
of SDL vs. GLUT with FlightGear ?
On FreeBSD 'configure' currently does not detect libSDL, but if the
mentioned is really your recommendation then I'd try to fix that.

Count this as my personal opinion.

Full screen/game mode:

- original-glut worked quite well for me, and played nice with multiheaded systems.

- SDL locks out all other displays when you go full screen. Ok for 99.9% of our users, but for the 0.1% that needs to run "fullscreen" but in a multiheaded environment, SDL is not an option.

- freeglut never implimented glut's fullscreen/game mode (so free glut is *not* a complete drop in replacement for original glut.) Plus freeglut 2.4 has the well know bug that bites us.

For one of my projects, I've been forced to fall back to the original glut.

Personally, I'd recommend building with SDL by default, although some of our peripheral utilities still depend on glut so we can't completely free ourselves from it yet.

Curt.