>we are mapping two types to three different textures. Wouldn't it make
> more sense to map "ShrubCover" and "ShrubGrassCover" to different
> textures? This wouldn't use more space, but possibly match reality
> better. I would assume that ShrubCover is greener than
> ShrubGrassCover.

The answer isn't that simple... :(

The materials.xml file actually has alot of unused mappings, and this is a good example. The mappings in the materials.xml file should correspond with the names assigned to the polygons built during the last scenery build. However, it seems like assigned names sometimes change between builds, for example the poly's name ShrubGrassCover in a previous build maybe now named ShrubCover in this build. I think this is just to keep compatibility with some of the older scenery builds.

The current list of valid names assigned to the polygons are located in Terragear's src/Prep/Shapefile/process.sh

In order to create my own userdefined assignments (so I can rebuild the world in regional chunks), I've added several new entries into names.cxx and names.hxx using Martin's shapefile's naming scheme.

e.g.
World_landmass_default
North_America_East_landmass_default
North_America_Central_landmass_default
North_America_Mountain_landmass_default
North_America_Pacific_landmass_default
Europe_North_landmass_default
Europe_South_landmass_default
South_America_landmass_default
Africa_landmass_default
Asia_landmass_default
Asia_South_West_landmass_default
Asia_South_East_landmass_default
Asia_Japan_landmass_default
Australia_landmass_default
Oceania_landmass_default
Polar_landmass_default

This way, I can rebuild the world in pieces and have uniquely assigned material for each region.

I still have some testing to do, but I'm pretty confident this approach will work.

-Rob