Melchior FRANZ wrote:

>  <name>ShrubCover</name>
>  <name>ShrubGrassCover</name>
>  <texture>Terrain/shrub.rgb</texture>
>  <texture>Terrain/shrub2.rgb</texture>
>  <texture>Terrain/shrub3.rgb</texture>
>
> we are mapping two types to three different textures. Wouldn't it make
> more sense to map "ShrubCover" and "ShrubGrassCover" to different
> textures?

Pointing at this particular fact was my intention when I mentioned that
not every layer has its unique texture  :-)

In the case you cite here the effect does not matter because there is
no 'ShrubGrassCover' layer - this is sort of a blind entry. I know that
at least two textures are being reused by two or more material
names/layers each as I had a look at this while preparing the
Mapserver. I found it pretty cumbersome to dig through the stuff as I'm
no XML parser so I decided to get out of that.

The document stored here:

  ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/GIS/GISData/NIMA/VMAP0_spec.pdf

starting at about page 150 lists different area features and
information on how to identify these ('f_code', 'veg', 'smc', 'swc' and
so on). Somebody with lots of spare time could have a look at this and
try to identify landcover/material types that are already prepared in
'TerraGear/src/Lib/Polygon/names.hxx' and in 'data/materials.xml'. Most
of this is already put into browsable form on this page:

  http://www.de.terragear.org/docs/vmap0/coverage.html

There's another thing: When picking colours to identify the different
layers for my Mapserver I averaged the color values over the texture
tiles and realized that the color values of many textures resemble each
other - see the Legend to the Mapserver map display after selecting all
landcover layers.

Regards,
        Martin.