On 12/28/06, Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:

On Thursday 28 December 2006 13:17, Roberto Inzerillo wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am digging into terrain tiles creation in order to get a few
> airports layout more close to reality. I wonder if there's an
> alternative or if there's even space to experiment new ways in getting a
> highly customized geometry (especially for airport terrain meshes).
>
> I am not very satisfied about the TaxiDraw/Terragear pipeline because of
> its limitations in the mesh creation technique.
>
> <snip>
>
> thanks,
>    Roberto

Last year, a few others and I did experiment with converting FAA airport
diagrams (vector PDF) into 3D models then importing them into
FlightGear...
if that's what you are looking for.

Ampere

I've done some very limited and reasonably successful experiments with
recreating an area in Multigen Creator (I'm not claiming any particular 3d
modeling skills here, I'm horrible at it) and then just placing the model in
the FlightGear world a meter or two above the original surface.  In my case
we created a simple grid and laid google earth imagery on top of it ... it
was an internal not-redistributable effort, although we did get explicite
permission from google to post/publish screen shots.

Curt.

--
Curtis Olson - University of Minnesota - FlightGear Project
http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/