> > In
 > > case I use this .dat approach, I do have to modify the terrain mesh
 > > separately, before merging it with the airport data using TerraGear,
 > > right?
 >
 > Yes, you are right. Do you have a specific example in mind for such a
 > modification?

Airport Palermo Puntaraisi runway had an incorrect up_and_down height
variation in lenght which I suppose was an heritage of not correct
terrain mesh elevation data (since I don't recall it in the real one).
There's a road at Koeln airport which goes down into a tunnel under a
taxiway (in the middle of the airport area) which cannot be modelled
without touching the terrain mesh.

I think it would be easier to have those details modelled while working
on the airport mesh and not on the underlaying terrain mesh. It's just
my point of view, that's because I like following a consistent working
pipeline where I have full control on the geometry in its whole
(comprising height). Maintaining a default height when no modification
is needed and letting the developer add personal fine details when
wished should be an added value to all that airport generation process.
This is not possible with current tools.

I know that approach is mostly out of people interest because it regards
scenery beautyfying more than flight simulation. But that's _my_
interest right now :-)

 > Of course, TaxiDraw is not limited to creating apt.dat data as Durk's AI
 > extension shows.

I know that, I'm using the latest development binary available with AI
capability built inside, and I find that useful for those who want to
dig into that. I do not, at the moment :-) That's because I ask for
suggestions and ideas here.

   Roberto