On 01/11/2007 10:58 AM, Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> John Denker has suggested that a C-182 RG would be a good addition.

I'm still interested in that.  It would be tremendously useful as a
procedures trainer.

> However, this is very much on the drawing-board and would require
> significant effort - we currently don't have an FDM

I want this enough that I would be happy if the gear had *no* effect
on the flight dynamics.  The minimum would be to make something
appropriately bad happen on a gear-up landing.

The FDM for the flaps is markedly unrealistic, but people use
flaps anyway.....  Why should we hold the gear to a higher
standard (in the short run)?

> or model for such an effort.

Can't the model for the gear-handle be "borrowed" from the C310?

> I have enough work to do on the normal c182 without needing to worry about
> retractable landing gear. That applies both as a pilot and a maintainer!

I'm hoping for a low-workload solution.

As for piloting, you can always just fly around with the gear
extended, ignoring the gear handle.

Similar remarks apply to the cowl flaps.

Remember, I'm coming at this from the /instructor/ point of view.
Even if the gear lever and/or cowl-flaps lever don't have any
effect on the model flight dynamics, *I* am still there, and I
can give the student negative feedback if he doesn't use the levers
properly.