On Friday 11 May 2007 10:28, Gene Buckle wrote:
> Banned?  BANNED?!  Good luck with that.
>
> If this wasn't involving a _simulator_, I might be inclined to agree with
> you.  However, it's a bloody _game_.  Things that go *boom* in games are
> typically pretty cool.

While development over the past few years might give the preception that
Flightgear is a game, Flightgear is actually meant to be a serious flight
simulator.  Things that go boom are cool in games, but they are also useless;
more so in a simulator.

Part of the reason why I'm against combat elements in Flightgear is that as
more military stuffs get added, the more Flightgear appears like a game.  If
people still want Flightgear to be treated as a serious flight simulator,
then the less combat capabilities the better.

> (unless you're against the unfair exploitation and
> destruction of things that don't exist)

Of course I'm not against doing fly pass over your virtual house and dropping
virtual napalm daily...

> If you don't care for virtual combat, hey that's fine.  You don't have to
> work on combat related systems or use combat aircraft.  However, if you
> climb upon your high horse to ban this or that, don't be too shocked to
> find yourself flat on your back, staring up at the sky while I warm up my
> barbecue to enjoy some recently made horse steaks.

If you want virtual combat so much, there are plenty of combat simulators
available out there.  But don't expect me to loose any sleep if you choose
them over Flightgear.

As for banning, regardless of whether virtual combat is implemented or not,
banning is going to be implemented one way or another -- whether it is
banning combat completely, banning combat capabilities from civilian servers,
or banning different generations of aircraft from different servers.  I'm
really not worried.

Ampere