gh.robin wrote:

> Hello Tim,
>
> I spite of a very low fps with osg 1.9.4 (as i said before) i have built FG
> with that patch, which works perfectly  (but the cursor change, you are
> working on it).

I'll turn this into a Wiki page if it gets taken up.

First of all you should have the OpenSceneGraph-Data distribution from
the Downloads->SampleData page of www.openscenegraph.com, unpack it, and
point the OSG_FILE_PATH environment variable at it so you get the real
fonts that the Stats display needs.

> How may we understand the values which are given
> Event
> Update
> Cull
> Draw
> Gpu
>
> Are they percentage of use , or anything else ?

The numbers are time, in milliseconds. The names refer to the different
steps that OSG uses to update and draw a scene:

Event - All non-graphics update is done here: processing user and other
input, FDM, etc. Queries against the scene graph for finding height
above ground are done in this phase as part of the FDM, which is
currently a big bottleneck.

Update - Callbacks in the scene graph are called, basically implementing
all the animations.

Cull - Non-visible parts of the scene are discarded, transparent objects
are sorted by depth, and all geometry is grouped to minimize OpenGL
state changes.

Draw - Everything is rendered using OpenGL.

GPU - This statistic is available only on Nvidia hardware, I think; it
shows how much time the GPU takes to execute all the OpenGL requests. It
won't be much smaller than the Draw time, but it could be quite a bit
larger.

> The "Cull" is basically very high compared to  the other values but when i
> fly
> over the sea (without tiles as i said in an other topic).
> What is exactly the meaning of the "Cull" value ?

It's hard to assign a meaning to these times in isolation, except to
note that 16 milliseconds total is the magic number that gives you a
frame rate of 60hz. The large cull time indicates poor scene graph
layout; possibly there's a problem with transparent objects in your
beautiful cockpit :) The large draw time vs. gpu time shows that the
scene and model geometry could be grouped in larger batches.

> I get ThreadingModel : SingleThreaded   , is it right ?

Yes; I've forced all the OSG operations into one thread to start with.
There is a lot of flexibility in that area, and we'll try multithreading
things on multiprocessor machines.

> Here a snapshot of the Stats http://perso.orange.fr/GRTux/OSG-Stat.jpg
>
> Regards

Thanks! I'd love to know the details of that (aircraft, location, ...)

Tim