Melchior FRANZ

> Sent: 20 June 2007 16:35
> To: flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] [ANN] OSG - Improved Weather Radar
>

> * Vivian Meazza -- Wednesday 20 June 2007:
> > Melchior FRANZ
> > > I don't say that the radar patch is buggy, it's
> > > just the old render-to-texture feature. (It's also not my
> > > graphics card driver, as Qt4 has no problems with RTT.)
>
> > Perhaps this isn't a new bug after all.
>
> Yes, that's my assumption. I've spent some time on that but
> still haven't found the cause.
>
> Tender-to-texture works in fg/osg and QT4, so it doesn't seem
> to be a graphics card driver problem.
>
> 3D clouds also use RenderTexture but don't cause crashes. So,
> what's the difference? Answer: the clouds never call the
> RenderTexture destructor! If I comment out "delete rt" in
> ~FGODGauge(), then I don't get a crash either. Unfortunately,
> I couldn't find out if the destruction is really needed
> (calling glXDestroyPbuffer()). The RTT instruments are only
> destroyed at exit, and maybe the destruction of the GL
> context frees everything, anyway?
>
> BTW: the TestRenderTexture app in simgear/screen/ does also
> not crash, despite calling glXDestroyPbuffer() for mode
> changes (Return-key). But it does also not destroy the
> RenderTexture class at exit! So is this an acceptable method?
> Would commenting out "delete rt" be the solution for 0.9.11?
> (And committing the radar patch, of course. :-)

Hmm, I don't get the crash here, so it is difficult to take a view. On the
one hand, if 3D clouds don't call the destructor, then that should be good
enough for od-gauge. On the other hand, would not calling the destructor
cause memory not to be released on exit?

I'll test it here to see if I can detect an adverse effects.

Vivian