Ralf Gerlich wrote:
> Hi!
>
> AnMaster wrote:
>> Very nice, exactly what data is this scenery generated from and why can't it
>> be used for all of flightgear's scenery? In my opinion the current scenery is
>> plain ugly.
>
> Some of the information about the data sources can be found on the
> project homepage:
>
> http://www.custom-scenery.org/Oshkosh-Scenery.338.0.html
>
> Part of the data is based on a "new" method of automatic landcover
> classification from Landsat satellite imagery. The method is not "new"
> in that it is well-known in other areas. The method is "new" in the
> sense, that it was not yet applied to FlightGear scenery generation.
So, could scenery be "mass generated" with this method for all parts of the
word it exist for? I understand scenery would be larger but with terrasync I
only need to get the part I fly over anyway (for "official" scenery).

> The other part of the data is from the U.S. Census Bureau TIGER dataset,
> which is highly detailed and accurate, but only available for the US (or
> even only parts thereof, not sure currently).
Ouch, I'm mostly interested in Europe (Sweden mainly).

>> Also is this scenery being generated for some event (like the linuxtag add on
>> scenery was)? In that case what event exactly?
>
> The occasion is that a request was some month ago to rebuild the scenery
> for the Oshkosh EAA AirVenture, which is to take place next week.
>
> We are currently still in a pre-automation stage for the classification
> methodology. We hope to get "series-production" running at some point
> where a set of powerful computers (which will probably be provided by
> the OSGeo foundation) will perform the classification worldwide, leading
> to a hopefully complete landuse dataset of the whole world.
OSGeo? Who are they?

> What we could also improve on the scenery in a much more simple step
> would be to improve the textures. The current textures are much too
> contrast-poor. At least that's my impression when I compare what I see
> from above and what I see in FlightGear. Unfortunately, I'm not good at
> knowing in advance what will look good, I just see when it doesn't look
> good.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf
Also where can I get the scenery, the link "The scenery is available at
ftp://ftp.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/Misc_rag/scenery/landsat_oshkosh.";
redirects to a German page (http://www.uni-duisburg-essen.de/materialtechnik/)
that I can't read... :(

Regards,
AnMaster