* gh.robin -- 9/6/2007 12:05 AM:
> We can with an  external property  "scenery material type"  to process
> correctly the aircraft reactions according to the type.

And which material should this report? The one under the left
wing tip, or the one 150 m behind the tail, or what?! FlightGear
has no clue about what is where on the aircraft. This is entirely
an FDM thing. FlightGear only knows about the reference point
(/position/latitude-deg & /position/longitude-deg), and the
material under that is utterly pointless and does in no way help
to get proper gear behavior in JSBSim. It's beyond me why this
is so hard to understand. The reference point doesn't interact with
the terrain, so it doesn't need to care about the material below
it. Only gear and contact points need to care, as well as other
objects that intersect with the terrain.

> And Yes without any  Property (which would be the best way) the
> Nasal solution is better than nothing

Which is a good thing, because it's all that FlightGear will offer,
as far as I'm concerned. Unless someone has a really compelling
reason why we should *hack* around that JSBSim problem.

m.