On 08/10/2007, Jon S. Berndt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are two gains that come into play. One is from FlightGear (0.0 to 1.0,
> as Dave M. pointed out), and the one eventually sent to JSBSim, which is in
> ft/sec. It looks like the one set in JSBSim can vary from 0.0 to 100.0
> ft/sec. That is the maximum value expected. That seems high to me.

The maximum value should be high enough to destroy an airframe.  It
would be worth investigating research into cumulonimbus clouds,
downbursts, etc., but I don't think 100 ft/sec is out of line.  Unless
you want to make the 0-1 turbulence value non-linear, anything about
about .1 should be very unpleasant to fly in.

I did stumble into a small, developing storm cloud once in my Warrior.
 Fortunately, the up- and downdrafts had smooth enough transitions not
to cause damage, but they pegged my VSI in both directions, threw me
back and forth into uncommanded 60-degree banks, and we gained and
lost a couple of thousand feet in  seconds.  It's almost impossible to
believe the power stored in even a small storm cloud until you've seen
it.

All the best,

David