On 03/11/2007, Syd&Sandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Looking at videos taken by passengers , you can certainly see these forces
> ... and as a passenger , I have definately sunk in my seat .... ( no head
> springs involved ), so I still use it myself ...

Yes, that's much more realistic, and in fact, it's something we study
during flight training -- in a coordinated 60-degree steep, level
turn, you pull 2Gs and will feel yourself press very heavily down into
your seat (though it's unlikely that you sink more than 1-2 cm).
Note, however, that there's *no* sideways force at all if the turn is
coordinated -- it's all straight down (plane referenced).  If you put
a spirit level on the top of the panel in a coordinated turn, the
bubble would stay exactly centred.

When I descend quickly, say, approaching a runway for landing when I
had to clear some trees, I'll feel the opposite effect -- my head will
move up maybe .5 cm, and my shoulder will press hard against the
shoulder strap for a sec, then I return to normal Gs.

All the best,

David