Georg Vollnhals wrote

> Durk Talsma schrieb:
> > On Wednesday 09 April 2008 15:38, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> >
> >> * Stuart Buchanan -- Wednesday 09 April 2008:

> dependency on
> >>>
> >> You don't want that, fine. And *I* don't want a parallel
> structure of
> >> aircraft with megabytes of duplicated files.
> >>

> > I object against adding dependencies on the main Aircraft
> directories.
> > When we
> > get ready for the next release, This is going to bite us
> severely for all the
> > good reasons Stuart explained.
> >
> > FWIW, I proposed the AI/Aircraft directory originally to
> contain many
> > light
> > weight models that were originally intended for use by the computer
> > controlled AI system. As such, the AI directory was
> supposed to contain many
> > additional texture directories for all the different
> liveries, this implies
> > that the AI/Aircraft could potentially grow quite a bit.
> The fact that we
> > also store some copies of liveries used in the main
> directory only adds a
> > small percentage to the overall size of the package. The
> fact that these
> > aircraft could also be used in multiplayer environment is a
> nice bonus.
> >
> > For these reasons, I consider the argument that these copies add an
> > unacceptable increase of the base package largely void.
> After all, we also
> > don't have a policy for NOT adding new aircraft to the base
> package, so the
> > size of the CVS repository can't be an issue at all.
> >
> > I do forsee that adding loads of AI aircraft could add to
> the size of
> > the
> > release version of the base package.  That being the case,
> we could consider
> > spawning off a separately downloadable, optional AI
> aircraft package
> > (including not only aircraft, but also traffic files, etc
> etc). This would be
> > a point worth discussing. Keep the AI/Aircraft directory
> separate from the
> > main aircraft directory is a complete no-brainer in my opinion.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Durk
> >

> >From the viewpoint of a scenery-designer I fully agree with having at
> least low-texture - and if possible lower poly - AI aircraft
> models. It is very easy to have some of these
> "lighter-weighted" aircraft placed in the scenery without
> framerate-punishment. So I did with EDDV and EDDW and
> following the English Forum there are others who do the same.
>
> So there are 3 arguments to have an independent AI aircraft
> folder - may be separated as an extra downloadable package :
> 1. Improving the MP framerate situation 2. Using them for AI
> traffic 3. Using them for scenery design

1. A long time ago in the early days of MP the policy was agreed: "If you
don't have it you don't see it". No glider, no ufo, nothing. And AFAIK
that's still the case. IF we want to depart from this long standing policy,
then that's a slightly different debate.

2. MP aircraft should be reasonably lightweight, but with good texture,
fully animated and no interior detail. A good way to achieve this is by
using the data already available in the main model file. This is good data
management practice, and avoids duplication. I would think this also applies
for AI Aircraft for the traffic manager; here of course you might want
textures in the AI/Aircraft directory, but not necessarily.

3. Dead, low poly models for inclusion in scenery should join those already
available in Models/Aircraft. Even then the option exists for using a
wrapper for textures in the main Aircraft file if this is appropriate.

4. We don't seriously think that OSG is fit for a release this side of
Christmas do we? Should we really be using .png in anything other than osg
only models such as the Buccaneer, and even then I think I removed all .png
textures from the AI/MP version. (And now I'm going to have to :-))

Vivian