* till busch -- Thursday 10 April 2008:
> Currently Aircraft/ is ~1200 MB on cvs. So yes. I think we can easily afford
> 100 or 200 MB for "cheap" ai models.

I don't mind spending 200MB for something useful. But I think that 200MB
for a mere duplication of existing files is a waste.

> I'd opt for inclusion of as many AI (lightweight) aircraft as possible.
> People
> who try FG, will see other models that they like, and will eventually
> download them.

If it's only about a motivation to download the "real" aircraft, then
a dialog on exit is just as effective. And it's questionable whether
crappy/blurry AI aircraft are such a big motivation at all. Maybe
just the opposite. And high-quality duplicated AI files are a no-go
IMHO. Because you'd then come much closer to the 1200MB. The *.ac
and texture files are the biggest parts of an aircraft after all,
only instruments and sounds wouldn't be duplicated (and the usually
smallish nasal and xml files).

> Could you propose a more detailed design that would allow all of that?
> I would volunteer to write the necessary code.

A possible solution and compromise could be:

- $FG_ROOT/AI/Aircraft/ contains stripped down (model details
  and texture sizes) of all relevant aircraft, no matter if the
  aircraft is installed. Non-relevant ones are Ogel and Colditz,
  for example).

- there's a property/option that controls whether such rather low
  quality models are used or not. They are somewhat ugly, but may
  or may not be considered better than nothing.

- as soon as the real aircraft is installed ($FG_ROOT/Aircraft/),
  this takes precedence over AI/Aircraft/. Proper LOD setup
  in $FG_ROOT/Aircraft/*/ makes sure that this comes at low cost
  in the MP case. An additional flag <disable-on-mp/> or something
  added to an animation could be used to completely remove it in
  the MP case. (We might need a way to scale down textures, too?)
  I don't like the current setup much where MP-LOD is split off
  the real aircraft and resides in a separate dir. That's somewhat
  unclean.

- aircraft could contain an indicator of their "costs", so that
  one could set an option at startup to only display aircraft
  cheaper than some threshold.

m.