Curt, there's yet another point:

"Curtis Olson" wrote:

> What Martin is referring to is a read only git mirror of the official
> FlightGear CVS repository so it should cause no harm as long as we are
> careful not to develop official dependencies that can only be supported on a
> single operating system.

The FlightGear project has been notoriously behind about getting
people's source code contributions into CVS - for years. We all know
the story, it's been the same for years already, no need to repeat it
here.

So, in order not to loose the respective contributions over the time,
such a GIT repo - be it mine or someone else's - makes the perfect tool
that allows contributors to maintain their changes in a local branch
while still easily keeping them in sync with the main source tree(s).
Thus, it will be highly beneficial for the FlightGear project as a
whole to support these developers by backing an official GIT repo
instead of letting their enthusiasm fade out in disappointment ....

Guess why there are there so many private GIT repositories containing
modified versions of FlightGear source trees !? Please think of it and
keep up with the times.

Cheers,
        Martin.