On 21 Aug 2008, at 16:46, Curtis Olson wrote:

> I was able to find a set of options to the cvs2svn tool that worked
> for our repository.  The FlightGear repository takes about an hour
> and 45 minutes to convert.  So that part works well.

Yep, that's really great news - I have heard some horror stories from
the early days of SVN, but it seems to be a straightforward process
these days

> I also really like how svn handles group and  user
> authentication ... it does it outside of the unix account system
> which makes the system much easier to manage.  But I am headed out
> of town here in a few minutes so I didn't want to rush to set up a
> server daemon and then overlook something from a security standpoint.

Can't comment much there - I've used the HTTPS interface, where
authentication was done by Apache, but of course there's multiple
Apach mod_auth_ solutions.

> From the standpoint of taking small steps, I think it makes sense to
> migrate towards svn, and then we can still keep the git discussion
> open as a separate issue.

Yep, absolutely, especially since I am very unsure how git deals with
binary files, and the Windows situation seems 'complicated'.

James