On 08/20/2008 02:32 PM, Curtis Olson wrote:

> Perhaps I misunderstand the scope and capabilities of git ....

> And at the end of the day, no matter what source code version control system
> we use, and no matter what useful tools it provides for branching and
> merging, we still need a human in the loop to act as a sanity check to
> evaluate and approve changes that go into the master repository.

Huh?  Has anyone suggested otherwise?

> (I
> understand this is a philosophical choice on my part.  Another approach
> would be to let any and all changes from just about anyone to be committed
> to the master repository and let the review step happen when things break or
> crash or stop functioning optimally ... I just do not like that particular
> approach.)

Why are we even discussing such wildly unprofessional approaches?

Consider the Linux kernel, which could be considered the flagship
application for git.  Does anybody think that submissions to the
official main branch of the kernel go in without a human in the loop?
Does anybody think kernel code gets reviewed only "when things break
or crash or stop functioning optimally"?

Let's be clear:  I can think of some projects that have conspicuously
broken review mechanisms ... but they are projects that don't use git,
not projects that do.

> Perhaps I misunderstand the scope and capabilities of git ....

One of git's raisons d'ĂȘtre is precisely this, to make it *easier* to
evaluate submissions before they are committed to the main branch.

It achieves this in part by making it super-easy and quick to create new
branches ... and then to throw them away if/when they are no longer needed.

It is already being used in this way by FGFS developers, and has been for
some time.