Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> * Melchior FRANZ -- 8/26/2008 3:03 PM:
>> But it would make me a bit nervous if an aircraft developer commits
>> several pointless updates of 5MB sound files. GIT can't compress that.
>> We'd collect the whole pile on our disks. How much would disk space
>> requirements grow each year?
>
> Bah, I just saw a rather cheap 1TB disk offered in the ads of a shop
> that focuses on books, music CDs and paper stuff. I guess that a
> few MB more aren't really an issue nowadays. Hereby I withdraw the
> above consideration. So what's left as an argument against switching
> to GIT right away? That's after some more discussions and tests, of
> course.  :-)
>
> And by the way: an SVN checkout keeps two copies of every single
> file. And for most files that copy takes about as much disk space as
> the *whole* history of that file in GIT, which includes all file
> revisions! (IIRC)

I just tested the fg GIT server and checked out fgdata, which is quite a
piece of stuff. It took some time, but that's normal for the first
checkout and not different to CVS.
The interesting thing is running "du -c" after the checkout on both
different dirs:

CVS: 1696167 total
git: 1043121 total

Which clearly shows how efficient git works even with binary files and
considering that this copy contains all the changes, as Melchior already
stated.