On 22 Sep 2008, at 22:25, Vivian Meazza wrote:

> AJ and I _think_ we are talking about the same problem. We might not
> be,
> although the description of the symptoms, which we have discussed many
> times, seems to be the same. The underlying cause might not be the
> same. It
> might be the code, the compiler, the OS. We don't know, which is why
> we need
> some more evidence. It might be different causes for AJ and for me.
> What we
> do know is that we had a much better solution a while back.

Since this might be my fault, I'll say that as far as I know (of
course I could be very, very wrong), none of my changes should have a
noticeable performance impact (yet). For example, the marker-beacon
instrument searches for nearby navaids of a certain type, and in the
future I might change how the search is implemented, but right now all
the old search methods are being used.

Of course I could easily have made a mistake. The best solution is a
binary search of CVS - rewind to a date which is 'known good' and the
keep stepping forwards / back by half the time interval and checking-
out / rebuilding / testing. Generally it will only take 4-8 iterations
of this (tedious) process to narrow it down to a day, at which point
we can see how I screwed up :)

It would also be good to know if everyone sees this issue (or some
variation), or only certain OS-es / people with slower machines / etc

Regards,
James