James

> On 22 Sep 2008, at 22:25, Vivian Meazza wrote:
>
> > AJ and I _think_ we are talking about the same problem. We might not
> > be,
> > although the description of the symptoms, which we have discussed many
> > times, seems to be the same. The underlying cause might not be the
> > same. It
> > might be the code, the compiler, the OS. We don't know, which is why
> > we need
> > some more evidence. It might be different causes for AJ and for me.
> > What we
> > do know is that we had a much better solution a while back.
>
> Since this might be my fault, I'll say that as far as I know (of
> course I could be very, very wrong), none of my changes should have a
> noticeable performance impact (yet). For example, the marker-beacon
> instrument searches for nearby navaids of a certain type, and in the
> future I might change how the search is implemented, but right now all
> the old search methods are being used.
>
> Of course I could easily have made a mistake. The best solution is a
> binary search of CVS - rewind to a date which is 'known good' and the
> keep stepping forwards / back by half the time interval and checking-
> out / rebuilding / testing. Generally it will only take 4-8 iterations
> of this (tedious) process to narrow it down to a day, at which point
> we can see how I screwed up :)
>
> It would also be good to know if everyone sees this issue (or some
> variation), or only certain OS-es / people with slower machines / etc

A binary search, which I'm also trying, takes days. At some point we left
OSG 2.4, used an interim version, then migrated to osg 2.6. An osg rebuild
here takes well over an hour. So far, I've come about halfway forward from
Apr, which is the last-known-good I have. The total rebuild takes about
3hrs. I can manage to find time for about 1 a day in all.

I have no evidence that it's anything that you have done, although AJ might
take a different view. Still have hash.c in my sights.

Vivian