gerard robin wrote

> On dimanche 28 septembre 2008, Vivian Meazza wrote:
> > gerard robin wrote

> > > Not fully right, the XML doesn't give ( all) the  features which are
> into
> > > OSG, .
> > > So to me the paricles.osg  object  with  animations is longer
> necessary.
> > > For instance,  the Catalina and some others that i am working on.
> > >
> > > The OSG animation  particles models could be very accurate within XML,
> > > but unfortunately  there is missing a lot of features  ( more than a
> lot
> > > :) ) which are there  within OSG native model.
> >
> > I haven't noticed anything critical missing from the XML particles, and
> > they do put the particles in the right frame of reference, and they do
> get
> > the right wind, which the osg solution does not.
> >
> > What do you see as missing? Perhaps we can get on the case.
> >
> > There is an update to particles in osg in the pipeline, which I'm
> currently
> > using, and that does improve the look of the .xml particles. I'm not
> aware
> > of the current position of that patch.
> >
> > Vivian
> >
> Since i don't know what is new in the pipeline,  i can't precisely answer
> the
> question.
>
> I only can get some comparison with the actual CVS process ( we had a talk
> about it before )
> The xml which is there, don't give the same result than we have with the
> .osg
> effects,  and, my models (which are in CVS) are not perfect, i am working
> on
> a huge improvement regarding the wake.osg  which will increase more  the
> differences.
>
> Yes, a long line of trailing smoke is not possible, because there is not
> any
> interaction from .osg to .ac  and/or externals ( like winds).
> So, i don't say that the xml is wrong, i only say that it don't give the
> same
> eye candy.
>

> To remember the first talk we had about it here the link :
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=200808121328.4126
> 0.ghmalau%40gmail.com&forum_name=flightgear-devel
> =================>
>  >Are we sure that, all the Particle features which are within OSG, are
> > available with the new XML coding <particlesystem> ?
> >
> > When translating one of my .osg file to <particlesystem> .xml file, i
> > don't
> > get the same quality of result.
> >
> > It could be just me. I can be wrong.  :(
> >
> > Or that new XML coding is may be a first step, and others improvements
> are
> > coming :)
> >

> No, all the features of particles are not available with the xml version,
> but I don't think that should affect performance.

> [...]

So, if I understand you correctly, there are no missing features, just the 2
bugs: z buffer and jitter. Tim has submitted a fix for both those to OSG.
I've been using it for some time now. Works perfectly, but AFAIKS have not
been taken aboard by OSG.

Before:

ftp://ftp.abbeytheatre2.org.uk/fgfs/Screen-shots/bucc-particles.jpg

After:

ftp://ftp.abbeytheatre2.org.uk/fgfs/Screen-shots/bucc-particles-2.jpg

Vivian