Erik Hofman wrote (a long time ago)

It's been possible to attach a sub-submodel to a submodel for some time now
(a year or so). See data\Aircraft\seahawk\Models\seahawk-submodels.xml and
data\Aircraft\seahawk\Models\seahawk-subsubmodels.xml to see how it's done.

Submodels are hard on frame rates, so if you want a smoke trail, this is
probably not the way to do it. But, good news, it is also possible to attach
particles to submodels. I have attached a short smoke trail to tracer, and
that's now in cvs, or will be shortly. I'm not sure how realistic it is for
tracer, but it does serve to demonstrate how you might do it for a flare.

Vivian