On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:05 AM, James Turner <zakal...@mac.com> wrote:

> On 8 Oct 2009, at 15:17, Curtis Olson wrote:
>
> > Are there instructions for the new route mgr?  The new version in
> > CVS doesn't not work like before.  I added two waypoints, but it
> > just flies a hdg of 0 and doesn't track to the next waypoint any
> > more ... ???
>
> http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Route_Manager
>
> Is the current instructions, feedback is welcomed.

Ok, I started up in the alphajet for instance at KLAX (7L).  I pulled up the
new route manager dialog and it suggested CL02 H1 as the starting location.
I set that to KLAX-7L for the start and typed in KPHX for the destination,
KSLC for the alternate, cruising speed of 350kts, cruising altitude of
18,500.

I then clicked Activate and it still inserted CL02-H1 for the first waypoint
and that's it.  I removed CL02 and clicked activate again, and this time it
put KLAX-07 for the first way point and then put KPHX in twice.  So I
manually manipulated the list so it contained only one waypoint ... KPHX.
Ok!

So now the HUD read hdg=0.0 which means the autopilot is configured to fly a
straight heading of 0 degrees north.

What used to happen is the route manager would compute the heading to the
target waypoint, and configure the autopilot to fly that heading.  This part
apparently doesn't happen any more .. at least not with the alphajet?

I like the realism of the new system (assuming the glitches are ironed out).

But the old system was designed to be simple and quick and ubiquitous ... it
was available and worked for all aircraft assuming they had a reasonably
tuned autopilot config and the aircraft author didn't go out of their way to
disable it.   The old system took 1 second to punch in a way point, and then
the autopilot instantly took over and you were flying there.  You could use
"F6" to toggle the heading hold on and off. Not a *realistic* system, but
very convenient for some types of testing (or cheating).  Is it possible to
keep the old simple/easy system available and make the new route manager a
new separate system?

Right now I don't seem to be able to get the alphajet to navigate to Phoenix
(or anywhere else) on it's own.  I wasn't really intending to go to Phoenix
today, I was just using that as an example.

Thanks,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/