On 8 Oct 2009, at 16:35, Curtis Olson wrote:

> Ok, I started up in the alphajet for instance at KLAX (7L).  I
> pulled up the new route manager dialog and it suggested CL02 H1 as
> the starting location.  I set that to KLAX-7L for the start and
> typed in KPHX for the destination, KSLC for the alternate, cruising
> speed of 350kts, cruising altitude of 18,500.
>
> I then clicked Activate and it still inserted CL02-H1 for the first
> waypoint and that's it.  I removed CL02 and clicked activate again,
> and this time it put KLAX-07 for the first way point and then put
> KPHX in twice.  So I manually manipulated the list so it contained
> only one waypoint ... KPHX.  Ok!

This is a straight bug, I'll look into it. If you are sitting at KLAX
7L, it's supposed to load up that airport and runway automatically.

> So now the HUD read hdg=0.0 which means the autopilot is configured
> to fly a straight heading of 0 degrees north.

I suspect the HUD functionality is confused, I was unaware it even
existed, again I'll take a look tonight.

> What used to happen is the route manager would compute the heading
> to the target waypoint, and configure the autopilot to fly that
> heading.  This part apparently doesn't happen any more .. at least
> not with the alphajet?
>
> I like the realism of the new system (assuming the glitches are
> ironed out).
>
> But the old system was designed to be simple and quick and
> ubiquitous ... it was available and worked for all aircraft assuming
> they had a reasonably tuned autopilot config and the aircraft author
> didn't go out of their way to disable it.   The old system took 1
> second to punch in a way point, and then the autopilot instantly
> took over and you were flying there.  You could use "F6" to toggle
> the heading hold on and off. Not a *realistic* system, but very
> convenient for some types of testing (or cheating).  Is it possible
> to keep the old simple/easy system available and make the new route
> manager a new separate system?

There's a various things here - as the Wiki page notes, the key one is
that the route manager *was* a sort of generic GPS thing that talked
to the autopilot directly. That's a wretched setup which has caused
all manner of horrible code in the aircraft that do want to model a
real GPS or FMS device.

For the quick things you want to do, your best choice is actually the
new GPS code - search for a waypoint (of any kind) and hit 'DTO', and
it'll do most of the rest. The catch is that the 'gps-slave' feature
of navradio is currently abused, so just driving the CDI/HSI via the
'gps-slaved' toggle doesn't always work. Aircraft that have a 'real'
GPS are generally working around the broken-ness in Nasal (eg,
theB1900d).

So, if you're in an aircraft that has the GPS instrument, and has a
panel switching to select the NAV/GPS toggle, *and* I fix the
implementation of the toggle, that will be a good solution. Of course,
in that case, the route manager also works, because the GPS will talk
to it seamlessly!

What I could do, is expand the 'no-FMS/GPS' code in the route-manager,
which, as you noted, is essentially an unrealistic feature, to drive
some outputs for the autopilot. My main concern is to avoid
complicating life for panel/aircraft developers who want to build the
realistic solution, though.

What I'd prefer, though, is to make the new GPS a default instrument,
and fix the gps-nav-radio slave, so that it works in any aircraft.
Then you can use the GPS for all the quick functions, and the route-
manager can be for more realistic flight planning. As far as I can
see, executing a DTO in a GPS is as quick as you need, but entirely
realistic...

Regards,
James