Hi All,

Wow, don't you love it when a topic generates
real interest. I count over 30 posts on this
so far... and I can not help but add one more ;=))

To try to directly address the problem as posted
on -
 http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/htm/bug-list.htm#bug-64bit
the case of a 'missing' osgFX

So the question is where is osgFX installed?
And this, as others have pointed out, would
depend on what was fed to cmake, if OSG is
compiled from source, or where the package
manager put it...

I suspect it is in a 'lib64' folder, either
/usr/lib64 or maybe /usr/local/lib64, or
/games/orig/usr/lib64

Why OSG cmake does this I have no idea. Maybe cmake
thinks it is being 'smart' ;=()

If it is in /games/orig/usr/lib64, and there
is no /games/orig/usr/lib, or it is empty,
then creating a link lib -> lib64 with
/games/orig/usr $ ln -s lib64 lib
will get the compile/link to complete.

If it is in /usr/lib64 or /usr/local/lib64,
then we know there is already a
/usr/lib and /usr/local/lib, so the 'link'
solution can NOT be used. I guess the
only solution for this would be to
move everything out of the 'lib64' into
lib... or indeed into somewhere like -
/games/orig/usr/lib[64]

And be aware, except for the /usr/lib move
you will then have to add a 'fix' when ever
you run 'fgfs', since now the dynamic shared
runtime library loader will also not be
able to find osgFX, and all the other
OSG shared libraries...

To run 'fgfs' you will have to do -
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/games/orig/usr/lib64
or
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/games/orig/usr/lib
if you created the suggested 'link'.

And this will also apply when you run
say fgviewer, or others that depend on
the OSG shared libraries, so can be a bit of
a pain...

Or this can be made 'permanent' by adding
another say osg.conf to /etc/ld.so.conf.d
since my /etc/ld.so.conf contains a line -
 include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf
Something I think maybe cmake OSG should have
done...

Now whether or not this can be classified
as a FG 'bug' is a mute point. As Lee and
others have pointed out, I do think FG auto
configuration could have a check for say osgFX,
or osgDB, and politely exit with message before
it is seen in the actual compile/link...

I have NO problems compiling, linking,
and running in my Ubuntu 64-bit, and
to share how I get around all this -
$someroot in my case is '/home/geoff/fg/fg7'
but can be just about anything...

1. OSG - I use -
cmake -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -D CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-O3 \
-D CMAKE_C_FLAGS=-O3 \
-D CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=$someroot/install/OSG281

This installs the OSG libraries in
$someroot/install/OSG281/lib64
And the OSG headers are thus installed in
$someroot/install/OSG281/include
and say osgviewer binary in
$someroot/install/OSG281/bin

Then in this folder $someroot/install/OSG281
I make a link lib -> lib64

2. PLIB
./configure --prefix=$someroot/install/plib \
--exec-prefix=$someroot/install/plib

3. SG
./configure --prefix=$someroot/install/simgear \
--exec-prefix=$someroot/install/simgear \
--with-osg=$someroot/install/OSG281 \
--with-plib=$someroot/install/plib \
--with-jpeg-factory \
--with-boost=$someroot/install/boost

4. FG
./configure --prefix=$someroot/install/fgfs \
--exec-prefix=$someroot/install/fgfs \
--with-osg=$someroot/install/OSG281 \
--with-simgear=$someroot/install/simgear \
--with-plib=$someroot/install/plib

This is using OSG release 281, but this approach
gives me the flexibility of using the later
282, of even the OSG svn trunk... likewise with
various release versions, or svn, of plib...
perhaps the only case for using non-standard
directory installations...

Of course, I have ALL this in a script -
 http://geoffair.net/tmp/makefg
so I do NOT have to remember each time... and
that script generates a run_fgfs.sh
script, that does the export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
thingy before running fgfs...

And as you can read in that script, I have
a 'switch' to install OSG in the 'standard'
path, /usr/lib etc, but never got that working ;=()

I will add and test a few additions to
configure.ac to 'search' for the OSG libraries,
like we do for most others, and present it
shortly... and maybe others, like Erik says, have
ideas on this... maybe it would also be possible to
ferret out even a 'lib64' installation...

HTH,

Regards,

Geoff.