On Saturday 06 February 2010 21:29:23 Csaba Halász wrote:

> Well, I still think the sensible thing is to expect *native* libraries
> in /lib, whatever native may be. If you are on 64 bit, that means 64
> bit libraries go into /lib and not /lib64. The only situation I would
> expect /lib64 is if I am on a 32 bit system. If I am sitting on a 64
> bit machine and I need 32 bit libraries, I put the 32 bit libraries
> elsewhere separated from my native libs (which is what debian does -
> you get /lib32).

On x86_64, _both_ 32 and 64 bit are native. So it's a pretty arbitrary choice,
which libraries you put in lib and if you have an accompanying lib32 or lib64
directory. openSUSE for example puts 32 bit libs in lib and has lib64
directories which has the nice advantage, that there has never been a
compatibility problem. Running 32 bit Java/Flash/wine/... on an otherwise 64
bit system is a non-issue. No chroot or workarounds like that needed. I only
could wonder when I read about problems, why distributions would do that to
their users...

Stefan