On 02/12/2010 01:34 AM, I wrote:

>  I haven't yet made the corresponding
> fixes to the FG side of things.

Well, I finally got around to it.

The patch can be found in the usual place:
  http://gitorious.org/~jsd/fg/sport-model/commits/sport

The commit message says:
Fix bug:  substrings in LDFLAGS
Fix bug:  substrings in CPPFLAGS
Fix bug:  now check libraries (not just headers) for plib.
Fix it so that configuration works (mostly) as easily on
 64-bit machines as on 32-bit machines, even for users who
have compiled OSG from source and need to specify --with-osg=/some/dir.
Check for working CXX compiler.

More informative error messages.
Spelling.
Slightly more informative logging.
More parallel to SimGear version.

==================

I also ported some of the better ideas from the FG side
back to the SG side:
  http://gitorious.org/~jsd/fg/sport-simgear/commits/sport

=========================

For today, the headline is that I've finally got it to
the point where I can do "make distclean ; make" for SG
and FG and the whole thing compiles without so much as
a warning ... and without requiring 64-bit users to say
any weird incantations over the compile scripts.  The
same procedures that have always worked on 32-bit
machines now work on 64-bit machines, AFAICT.

  There are still major weaknesses in the configure/build
  system.  Some things that never worked right (on 32-bit
  machines or otherwise) still don't work.  I will discuss
  those in a separate thread.  And I'll wait a while before
  discussing them, so nobody will get confused about which
  bug is which.

There sure was a big nest of bugs in acinclude.m4.  It's
funny how when those get fixed, the issues that some people
tried to call "a bug between keyboard and chair" and "an
unfortunate mistake" aren't problems anymore.  And there's
much less need for new, arcane documentation.

As soon as these fixes get committed, I will consider
the 64-bit configuration snafu a closed issue.  Things
are definitely moving in the right direction.