Gene Buckle wrote:

> Martin, would some kind of impartial tool help solve this problem?  I
> don't know the details of WHY some particular model wouldn't work well in
> FG, but wouldn't it be fairly straightforward to createa "model checker"
> tool that could help an artist make sure that their model meets some
> minimum criteria?

Oh, certainly, there's a couple of checks which [c,s]ould be performed
on every single model.

Actually we already do a couple of consistency checks. As an example
I'm having a home-grown tool to parse AC3D- and XML-files in order to
verify if the referenced texture- or geometry-files are present. This
is pretty easily done using a stupid automatism.
I'm also having the habit of loading models into 'osgviewer' before I
store them in our database, just in order to see if there's trouble
ahead. This is already a bit more difficult to perform in an automated
manner and requires a $DISPLAY.

Furthermore, some clever modellers are having the habit of creating
model buildings for crowded, urban areas and naming the texture files
like "concrete.rgb" or the like - it's obvious that this is going to
lead to confusion the more models we have in this area.
And finally, we ask our contributors not to make ground surface a part
of the 3D model, because this is sooner or later going to lead to
rendering artifacts (and guess who's finally to take the blame).
....  list to be extended.

Personally I don't insist on doing all these checks myself  ;-)
So, if someone were having fun developing intelligent tests which could
be run automagically and thus anonymously hidden behind our web site,
I'd be _very_ happy to welcome a new team member. Creating such a tool
myself is simply beyond my timely constraints.

Cheers,
        Martin.