On 03/01/2010 04:13 PM, Tim Moore wrote:

> I'm looking at io/sg_file.cxx in the sport branch. I see the old
> implementation of readline inside an
> "execrable_readline" #ifdef. I don't see any other implementation of
> readline.

> Perhaps my question would go away if I fetched your sport flightgear repo
> too;

You could fetch it into a branch of whatever you're
already using.  Gitorious makes this easy and efficient.

> since I don't have a commit id for the patch where you presumably
> changed "readline" to "getline", I haven't.

In such a branch, you could do this:
  git log --oneline --author=jsd sg_file.cxx

It will tell you all three commit-ids.  There is no need
to "grovel through logs".

There will in general not be any such thing as "the"
commit-id because I cannot suspend development while
waiting for somebody to get interested in this-or-that
bit of work I did.

The track record indicates that most of the FG code I
write eventually gets incorporated into the "official"
repository, but it is delayed months or years.

> But it seems to me that you
> could easily implement the old "execrable" readline interface in terms of
> your spiffy getline and save yourself the trouble of changing "readline"
> calls to "getline."

I don't see an easy way of reimplementing readline _per se_
in terms of ::getline or SGFile::getline.  The semantics
are too different, especially for small buffers;  getline
might hang in cases where readline would not, and dealing
with that would be more work than I'm being paid to do.

It is probably true that any code that uses readline
would be improved by switching to the getline semantics,
but again, finding all uses of readline, understanding
them, and switching them over is more work than I'm
being paid to do.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.